Thursday, May 04, 2006

I would ride that


So it turns out that my maternal Grandfather was not the only WWII rider after all; my step-mother's father also served overseas on 2 wheels. On the Harris side (maternal) I have had a picture in my possession since I was a child of Massey Harris on an Indian motorcycle somewhere is Europe during the War. Always found it to be a very intriguing picture; never had a chance to discuss this phase of his life though.

Recently I found out that Grampa Clarke ALSO rode over there. I had always known that he served in Europe, but we didn't see him much so I had no idea he rode over there. He has now returned to Calgary and I found out that we may have something in common.

I read in a magazine/book once about how during the war, dispatch riders would carry messages in a leather pouch slung over their shoulder. They usually rode at night without the benefit of lights (which apparently made an attractive target). A common method employed by the opposing side (I think BOTH sides did this to each other) was to string wire tightly from one tree to the next, at a height that closely resembled where a rider's neck resided.

And I thought the streets of Calgary were dangerous!


__________________________________________

On a completly unrelated, yet highly relevant note:

For those of us who worship NP, the movie Garden State gives us a glimpse into the WWII ride; I want one. NP or the bike, either will do.

I have dibs, Marty.

1 comment:

~ sean™ said...

But Marty...you forgot the basic formula:

(NP+SM)+ CenterStand = PASSION

My "stock" beats your stalk any day...