Friday, May 05, 2006

Hey! You're blogging my view!

Sorry...I couldn't resist the pun. At least I can still cross the street if the driveways are non-opposing. (For those of you who read, check out The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin; Adam, maybe Keebler can read it to you at bedtime)

We all know that I have nothing against Ford F Series trucks. I have the Beluga. Adam has been in it, Cassa has parked behind it, Marty has Photoshopped pictures of it. Various other (non-contributing) members of this Blog have also had occasion to either be in, or around, it.

Still...

I live in Creekside. My commute takes me from the Northern city limits down 14th Street. My fellow Calgarian rider will appreciate the view that I have every morning as I round Nose Hill; spectacular view of the city, sometimes surrounded in mist from the Bow, and an added bonus is some incredible sunrises.

Pretty cool way to start the day.

This morning as I rode, I felt a peculiar sensation coming over me. It was reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey, the scenes where the Monolith appears and casts its shadow. There on my left was a late model Ford F350 Diesel with "duallies" and a canopy. I have a Beluga and this dude has a Monolith.

This placed me in a bit of a conundrum.

As per a prior post, I am trying to be a good little boy and ride sensibly. Do I hammer it and get past him? Back to the view and the warmth of the morning sun on my thighs (which were getting cold as I had decided against riding pants today)? Or do I hold position and suffer, much like Frodo and Sam as the crawled through the dead marshes? This truck should be named, Osgiliath!

I held position from 64th ave to John Laurie Blvd., at which point it WAS SAFE to make my move.

Arriving in Mount Royal Village I congratulated myself on some mature riding.
___________________________________________________

Met a young rider yesterday at the courthouse (I was paying a speeding ticket that I got in the Beluga...there is an Oxymoron).

Aforementioned young dude was wearing one of those slings that immobilizes your arm/shoulder. He proudly told me that he had been doing a wheelie at 180 kmph when he hit a pothole and lost it. He then recounted, also proudly, how he had once been side-swiped by a truck on the freeway while performing a similar act of stupidity.

I would have invitied him to join the Blog, and possibly learn something, but decided that Darwin can have this guy.

I can be unkind at times...

No comments: